At Virginia Cancer Specialists, we provide comprehensive medical care and support services for people diagnosed with cancer and people with a family history of cancer. Our integrated team comprised of genetic counselors and medical oncologists have special training in inherited cancers. We are available to help you understand your level of risk and provide personalized medical recommendations based on personal and/or family history of cancer.
Around 5-10% of cancers are inherited. Inherited cancers, also known as hereditary cancers, are due to changes in a particular gene which can be passed through families and are associated with a higher lifetime chance of cancer.
Hereditary cancer risk assessment is recommended if you have:
- Cancer under 50 years old
- More than one type of cancer
- A rare type of cancer (ovarian, male breast cancer, pancreatic)
- Two or more family members diagnosed with the same type of cancer
- A family member with an identifiable gene mutation related to cancer risk
- Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry and a personal or family history of cancer
If the above applies for you or your family, it is important to review this information with your doctor and to schedule an appointment with our team for a more in depth discussion.
If you have an appointment with our Hereditary Cancer Risk Assessment team, please fill out these forms before your visit.